Looking to make some extra money this summer, or even land a full-time gig? We have families looking to hire full-time, part-time, and occasional caregivers! Keep reading to learn how to get noticed by families and land a summer job.
Most families won’t wait until the last minute to start searching for a summer nanny, so you shouldn’t wait either! We recommend starting your search for a summer care job now. Keep an eye on the Job Board for summer gigs that match your availability. Try to be one of the first to apply for a greater chance of getting an interview!
Create a profile that stands out
Your profile is your first impression! Put your best foot forward by creating a profile that catches the attention of families. This is where you show off all the experience and skills you have to offer. Pro tip – Let members know you’re available for summer care in your bio!
Here are a few ways to create a great profile:
- Profile Picture: We find that caregivers who have a clear and professional photo of themselves are more likely to have families reach out. We also recommend smiling and avoiding filters!
- Bio – This is your time to shine! Let members know what makes you a great caregiver, the experience you have, and your availability. Don’t be afraid to show off your personality!
- Care Experience – Make sure to select all the disabilities you have experience with. This is important for your profile since members often filter their searches based on experience.
- Availability – Get into the habit of updating the availability in your profile to reflect the hours and days you can provide care. Often, families won’t reach out if you do not match the schedule they’re looking to fill.
- Reviews – The more reviews the better! If you’re looking to add more reviews to your profile, you can send this link to families you’ve cared for in the past. We also recommend asking Joshin members to leave a review after each Care Date. This helps members feel more comfortable with your abilities and skills!
- COVID-19 Precautions – Have you received the COVID-19 vaccine? Let families know by updating the ‘Safety’ section of your profile! Some families may only want to hire a vaccinated caregiver at this time.
Making the most of the Joshin Job Board
If you don’t want to wait for families to reach out to you, spend some time scrolling through the Joshin Job Board. This is where families who are looking for care post jobs. In the job post, you’ll see the schedule their hiring for and their support needs. If you see a job that matches your availability and experience, you can apply by sending the family a message! Pro tip: Make your message personalized and let them know why you would make a great fit for the job.
- “Hi, my name is Ashley. I am very interested in working with you, John! I see that you need support on Monday and Tuesday from 2 PM – 6 PM. I would love to learn more about your care needs and see if we would be a good fit.”
Respond to messages in a timely manner
Check your Joshin account regularly to stay on top of any messages you may receive from families. Responding in a timely manner will show you are professional and may prevent the family from continuing to search for other caregivers – potentially losing you the job. If a family reaches out to you – always respond – even if you cannot meet their needs.
- “Hi John! I am interested in providing care for (name), but I cannot fill all of your needs. Are you open to me providing care some of the days?”
- “Hi John! Thank you so much for reaching out. Unfortunately, I do not think I can meet your needs at this time. I wish you all the best of luck finding someone who can!”
When communicating with families, over-communicate rather than under-communicate. Be sure to ask your questions so that you feel confident when accepting a Care Date. Be open and honest with Joshin members on what your work availability is – they are grateful to work with you!
Ace the interview
Some families may request to set up an interview prior to hiring you. Interviews can be conducted in person or online through Joshin’s video interview feature. Make sure to dress professionally and be on time!
The family will most likely have some interview questions prepared for you, but don’t forget that you’re also interviewing them. Come prepared with a list of questions to help you understand the job better.
Here are a few ideas for what you could ask during an interview:
- What are the main responsibilities for this job?
- Tell me more about the skills and goals that you/your loved one are working towards. What are the expectations for me to support these goals?
- What are the most important things you would like me to know about the person receiving care?
- What does the person receiving care enjoy doing?
- Confirm scheduling! You can even pre-schedule Care Dates on the spot in the Joshin app.
For more interview tips…click here.
Good luck with your search for a summer care job! As always, don’t hesitate to reach out to the Joshin team for ongoing support at email@example.com.
Apply to summer care jobs: https://bit.ly/3lOmeoj